|Object ID #||1956.015.004|
|Title||Hog Scraper Candlestick from the First Post Office at Owen Sound|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Great Britain?|
This "hog-scraper"-style, tin-plated candlestick (candle holder), is a 19th-century item, and was formerly used at the first post office in Owen Sound. The candleholder has a circular, pedestal-style base (no drip tray). There is a candle support that slides up and down a hollow tin tube, with a slot and thumb push part that allows one to push the support up and down. As the candle burned shorter, one would raise the support. The mechanism was known as a "slide ejector". The underside has a squarish piece riveted? to the base. There is no maker's identification present.
This candlestick holder was used in Owen Sound's first post office building, which was located in a roughcast structure that was located near where the town hall would later be built. Mail service began in 1846, but it is not known which year the roughcast building was constructed. The first official postmaster was George Brown, who served from 1853 until his mysterious death in September, 1868 in the White Cloud Island area. Mr. John George Francis was the next postmaster, from 1868-1880. The candlestick holder therefore likely was used by one or both of these gentlemen at the post office.
Perhaps this candlestick holder is British-made?
Previously owned by Aubrey Holmes, who was a son of George Holmes, an Owen Sound, Ontario photographer. Owen Sound had a couple of Military Reserves created when it was surveyed in the 1850s. An old postcard view (early 20th-century) has been seen showing display cannon on the east hill area. They no longer exist, and we do not know what happened to them.
Brooke was originally surveyed as the Town plot of Brookeholm in 1857, after the Newash Ojibwa were moved away from the Newash Reserve. The area was slow to develop, due to speculation, but eventually became a residential area. Brooke was annexed to Owen Sound in 1909.
Mr. Aubrey Holmes, was the son of George Holmes & Mary (MacKey) Holmes. George Holmes (b. 1860?) was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Holmes. George's mother died in 1865 from smallpox, when he was five years of age. The Holmes family was related to the Steadman family. The Holmes family were previously located in Puslinch Township before they came to Grey County. Robert Holmes had a lime kiln at Holmes' Rock, along the Garafraxa Road (now 9th Avenue East near 6th Street East, Owen Sound, Grey County.
George Holmes became an Owen Sound commercial photographer and he took a photograph of the former post office building that is now in the Grey Roots archives collection (see 1989.054.018).
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-18 Dia-9.5 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Francis, John George