|Object ID #||1959.002.077|
|Title||W. & E. Corn Ironstone Platter|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Year Range from||1891|
|Year Range to||1904|
|Made||W. & E. Corn|
|Place of Origin||Staffordshire, England|
White ironstone wheat & floral design serving platter, 1891-1904 mark. This platter has a transfer-printed maker's mark (black lettering) for W. & E. Corn on the underside. The platter is moulded with a wheat and flower pattern around its top side perimeter. The platter is ovoid in shape. There is a smooth, glazed white colour to it. The design is symmetrical. The wheat stalk designs have five heads of wheat. The floral design has two stems--one has three flowers, and the smaller one has only leaves.
Transfer-printed on the underside (in black):
"Royal Ironstone China" above a royal coat of arms, and "W. & E. Corn, England".
Manufactured by the W. & E. Corn pottery in Staffordshire, England, which was in operation from 1864-1904. The mark on it dates it from the 1891-1904 period.
Provenance unknown. Last owned by Jean Reid (neé Givens) of Holland Township, Grey County. May have belonged to her parents, James and Minnie Givens, before her. They were married July of 1898 and farmed in the Massie district of Holland Township.
James and Minnie Givens are buried at Greenwood Cemetery, in Owen Sound, Grey County.
|Collection||Food Service Tools & Equipment|
|Dimensions||H-3.2 W-26.6 L-37.4 cm|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|
|Function||An item of tableware that provides a place to keep hot sliced meat (other hot food) until it is served to everyone at the table.|