|Object ID #||1990.021.030ab|
|Object Name||Jar, Cosmetic|
|Title||MUM Deodorant Jar|
|Lexicon category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Credit line||In Memory of Edwin Miller|
|Year Range to||1931|
|Place of Origin||United States of America?|
This is a round, opaque white glass (milk glass) jar for MUM deodorant, possibly from the 1920s-1940s. It has a printed metal screw lid with it still. The underside has emboss-style lettering that includes the word MUM.
|Makers mark||The underside has emboss-style lettering.|
The item was formerly owned by Caroline Miller. The Millers lived in a farm house south of Hanover, Normanby Township, Grey County.
The last owner, Dorothy Miller (neé Miller), was married to Edwin Miller, a brother of the last two occupants of the Miller farmhouse - twin brothers, Noah and Aaron Miller.
|Collection||Toiletry & Cosmetic Collection|
|Dimensions||W-4 L-4 D-3 Cir-12 cm|
|Found||Normanby Township (formerly), Municipality of West Grey, Grey County|
Miller, John & Caroline
A factory-made, brandname deodorant preparation, that was likely sold in a drugstore. It may date to the 1940s. Mum was the first brand of commercial deodorant. Containing a zinc compound as its active ingredient, it was developed and patented by an inventor in Philadelphia in 1888, whose name has been lost to history. It was named for the term "mum" meaning "to keep silent" as in the popular phrase Mums the word. Mum was originally sold as a cream in a jar and applied with the fingertips. The small company was bought by Bristol-Myers in 1931.
In the late 1940s, an employee (Helen Diserens) developed an applicator based on the newly invented ball-point pen. In 1952, the company began marketing the product under the name Ban Roll-On. In 1958, the product was launched in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth of Nations as Mum Rollette.