|Object ID #||1955.002.002ab|
|Title||George Snider's Hat Box|
|Lexicon category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Year Range from||1851|
|Year Range to||1875|
|Place of Origin||England? Toronto?|
This two-piece leather travelling hatbox belonged to Mr. George Snider of Owen Sound. The lid is curved, and has two guides for an encircling strap to hold it to the box. The lid has "G. Snider Esq." [Esquire] on it. There is a round brass lock at one side of the box. There are some label remnants on the box. One has "PROPRIETORS CORNER OF YONGE AND FRONT STREETS". The edge is lined with pink cloth. There is a padded, pale-blue lining with a white floral pattern. There are four brass studs on the bottom of the hatbox. The bottom also has a diagonal linear pattern. The bottom has "G. Snider Esq. / Owen Sound" on it.
The hatbox belonged to George Snider, M.P. for North Grey, who was a Member of Parliament at the time of Confederation. Mr. Snider was also a Land Agent and Magistrate.
Mr. George Snider was born at Eglinton on January 31, 1813. His grandfather Snider had emigrated to the United States from Germany. He married Jane Maughan in 1835. Between the years 1848-1850, he sold Crown Lands to people, and served as Sherriff of Grey County between 1853-1863. In 1855, he was among the trustees of the new Owen Sound Mechanics' Institute (a library organization precursor of the Owen Sound Public library). Circa 1861, he owned a corner lot at what is now 9th St. and 1st Ave. West, Owen Sound. An 1879 map of Owen Sound (1977.032.002) has "Geo. Snider' property labelled on the west side.
George Snider was a Reformer Member of Parliament for three terms, and was presented with a "Confederation Medal" as he had been present as a member on July 1, 1867. Mr. Snider also served as Mayor of Owen Sound in 1859-1860, 1863-1864 and 1871. He died at the age of 73 on June 16, 1885. There is a photograph of him when elderly (see 1981.008.001).
A photograph in the archival collection shows a street scene with the area known as "Snider's Hill" in the background, and one can see the Snider residence.
In 1994, Mr. Murray Wilkinson said that he and his brother are descendants, as their mother's mother was a niece of George & Jane Snider. The Sniders were also connected by marriage to the Sherriff Moore family of Owen Sound (Charles Moore).
|Dimensions||H-26.5 W-33.3 L-37.5 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||A storage and travelling case to protect a man's top hat.|