|Object ID #||1991.022.001|
|Object Name||Pump, Gasoline|
|Title||Single-Cylinder Gasoline Pump|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Year Range from||1927|
|Artist||Clearvision Pump Co. Ltd., Toronto|
|Made||Clearvision Pump Co. Ltd.|
|Place of Origin||Toronto, Ontario|
Single-cylinder, hand-pumped, WHITE ROSE gasoline pump. It is a metal and glass item, with replacement finishes and a very altered appearance. There is a replacement cloth-covered gasoline hose installed on it in 2010 that has metal hardware ends cast with "PATENTED / TRIPLE XD / 1922-24". Please note that this hose was not given by the donor of the pump. The handle lever is now painted black. The base ring is now painted black. The pump is installed on a rectangular cement platform. Two curved rectangular plates are also painted black. The cover is now painted a shiny white, and its vertical lapped join is secured with slotted, convex brass screws (not old ones). A round adhesive printed sticker with the WHITE ROSE motif has been adhered to the customer side of the pump (it is not original to it). Black printing has also been added above. The switch has a new black finish on it as well. Two lightbulbs have been added to the lens top area (they flank the the cylinder).
The hose nozzle that originally was on it was made by the Service Station Equipment Co. Ltd. of Toronto. A replacement nozzle is on it now. The original milk glass globe that was on this pump was unfortunately broken prior to the accession of the pump. A modern replacement WHITE ROSE globe was purchased and added to the pump to make it look more complete (see 1992.33.1). The metal mesh around the cylinder is not original but was added by museum staff in order to protect the glass cylinder from vandals.
Patent date of 1927. Made by the Clearvision Pump. Co. Ltd. at Toronto, this pump has been altered over the years, so please note that it does not look the same as it would have originally.
Last belonged to George Dowdell, of Owen Sound, Grey County, who told museum staff that this WHITE ROSE gasoline pump was formerly used at the WHITE ROSE bulkplant at Harriston, Ontario, and then at the Belmore Store (general stores often sold gasoline in the past as well as service stations). WHITE ROSE gasoline was sold up until the early 1960s. Mr. Dowdell had a service station equipment business at Owen Sound, and enjoyed collecting White Rose memorabilia.
|Collection||Transportation, Automobiles & Equipment Collection|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||A pump like this would be installed outdoors, near a garage or general store business. The gasoline would be pumped up into the cylinder from an underground tank. The calibrations seen on the glass cylinder would help the attendant to measure the quantity of gas wanted by the customer. When enough gas was pumped up, the valve was switched so that the gas went down into the hose and into the automobile's gas tank. The pumping mechanism on this pump was patented in 1927.|