|Object ID #||2003.022.002|
|Other Name||Sherd, Crock|
|Title||Crockery Sherd from a McClarty Bros. Grocery Jar|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
This is a glazed earthenware pottery sherd from a "McClarty Bros. Grocery" container jar.
It appears to be a collared rim impressed with in capitals with "McClarty . . . General Gr . . . Owen So . . ." [McClarty Bros. General Grocery Owen Sound]. The underside of rim is left unglazed. The body of vessel probably was a beige-brown colour. The interior of the vessel was dark brown. It probably came from a three-gallon wide mouth crockery jar, based on its diameter relative to other jars.
McClarty Brothers was a groceries, provisions and crockery store at 110 Union St., Owen Sound, Grey County (now called 8th St. East) according to the 1892 Rutherford's Directory of Owen Sound. McClarty Bros. was still listed in a 1913 directory.
The McClarty store began in 18__. The jar likely was manufactured elsewhere in Ontario, as Owen Sound and area potteries made fairly primitive wares. The pottery-made items would have been shipped to Owen Sound, likely by train.
Provenance unknown. Last owned by Pieter Schuck of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-7.2 W-6.5 D-1.8 cm|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|
Owen Sound Business
Owen Sound Businesses