|Object ID #||1959.002.002|
|Object Name||Lamp, Kerosene|
|Title||Blackberry Pattern Table Lamp|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Year Range from||1870|
|Year Range to||1900|
|Artist||J.H. Hobbs, Brockunier & Co.|
|Made||Wheeling, West Virginia|
|Place of Origin||Wheeling, West Virginia, United States of America|
|Description||Colourless pressed glass coal oil lamp with blackberry pattern by J.H. Hobbs and Brockunier & Co. of Wheeling, West Virginia. This pattern was patented in 1870. The pressed glass font area has leaves and blackberry motifs. The burner is embossed with "WHITE FLAME LIGHT CO GRAND RAPIDS MICH" in circular fashion. It has a knurled thumb wheel and four prongs to hold on a glass chimney.|
Owned and used by John and Margaret Murray McKay, after their marriage at Chatsworth, Grey County, on April 8, 1869. Their farm home was located at Arnott, Holland Township, Grey County.
Next owned by their eldest daughter, Mary Ann (Minnie) Givens (neé McKay), at the Givens farm near Massie, Grey County. She married James Givens in 1898. The Givens farmed in Holland Township and are buried in Owen Sound's Greenwood cemetery. Minnie (McKay) Givens was born in 1871 and died in 1950. James R. Givens was born in 1875 and died in 1958.
Next owned by their daughter, Jean Reid (neé Givens, b. 1899, d. 1991).
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Holland Township (formerly), Township of Chatsworth, Grey County|