|Object ID #||1959.023.001|
|Object Name||Safe, Candle|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Year Range from||1840|
|Year Range to||1860|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Tinware candlebox (candle safe) for tallow candles. It is made of soldered tin. There are two brackets at the back with eyes for attaching the candlebox to a wall. There is a curved hinged lid, which has a folded edge and a hasp-like catch (some people would put a lock on their candleboxes to prevent theft). The entire exterior of the box is finished with a greyish paint or japanning? No maker's identification on it. The two side ends are slightly convex.
Function: A container that would be hung on a wall in a home and which would store tallow candles, which tended to bend and stored much better horizontally. A candlebox also prevented rodent damage to one's candle supply, and slowed down rancidity / decomposition of the tallow candles by keeping them out of the air.
The original ownership of the candlebox was not recorded, but there is a possibility that it may have been made by the Butchart hardware store or by the 19th-century Mr. Butchart, who was a tinsmith in Owen Sound, Canada West? The donor also was a grandson of an 1850s settler, Mr. James Webster, who settled at Alvanley, Derby Township, Grey County, Canada West.
Previously owned by George Webster Butchart, whose wife was formerly Miss Emma Danard, a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Danard of Owen Sound, Ontario. She was born in 1905.
The Butchart gravestone at Greenwood Cemetery, however, says that Mrs. Butchart was born in 1903, and died in 1971. George Webster Butchart, was born in 1895 and died in 1966.
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-21.5 W-32 Dia-13.5 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Butchart, George Webster