|Object ID #||1959.046.003ab|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Wide-mouthed crockery jar (a), with a lid (b), that was used for storing salt in the 19th-century. It is a glazed earthenware jar, with no pottery identification on it. The shiny glaze finish is a medium to dark brown, with black flecks. There are two grooves around the shoulder of the jar/crock and two small grooves about three-fourths of the way up the jar from the bottom, and a single groove around the bottom edge. The underside has a greyish-silver colour on top of the brown. The lid's glaze does not match the rest. The lid has a lift knob.
Previously belonged to either the Peter Inglis family or the William Kennedy family in the 19th-century. It later was passed down to one of their grandchildren, who lived at Inglis Falls and Owen Sound, Grey County.
Peter Inglis (1813-1901) and his wife Ann emigrated from Fifeshire, Scotland in 1843. They purchased the mill-setup at the head of the Sydenham River in 1845 and used the water power of what became known as "Inglis Falls" in Derby Township, located south of Owen Sound. The other possibility for the ownership of the crock was the William Kennedy and Agnes (Stark) Kennedy family of Owen Sound, Grey County. The Kennedy family had moved to several places in Canada West before they ended up in Owen Sound, C.W. in the 1850s. William Kennedy (d. 1885) was a millwright and established a foundry and planing mill business in town.
|Collection||Food Processing Tools & Equipment|
|Dimensions||H-17.7 Dia-10.7 cm|
|Found||Derby Township (formerly), Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
Kennedy, William (Senior)
|Function||The crockery jar was used by a family to keep their salt in. It would have been kept in a kitchen or pantry area.|