|Object ID #||1956.031.003|
|Title||Faucet Taps from Hatton's Hotel|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
A pair of brass faucet taps, mounted on a piece of wood. They were used in the Hatton Hall building (former Hatton's Hotel).
Reportedly salvaged from the Hatton's Hall hotel building in Sydenham Township, Grey County, from a renovation prior to 1956. Mr. Robert Hatton's hotel business was listed in an 1894 directory as having been established in 1875.
It was located between Owen Sound and Bothwell's Corners, on the Meaford Highway (Hwy. 26). The hotel was built in the 19th-century and was a brick structure, which, in 1956, was still standing, although no longer was used as a hotel, but as a hall where luncheons and dinners were held. The book HISTORY SYDENHAM TOWNSHIP (1967) has more information about it. The building was later demolished.
What is now Highway 26, was formerly known as the "Meaford Road" or as the "Centre Road". There used to be stagecoach travel on it. There also was a boardwalk from Owen Sound to the hotel location, c. 1885-c. 1928.
Last owned by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Walters, of RR#1 Owen Sound, Grey County. It is not known when or how they acquired the set, but it likely occurred when Mr. Walters briefly owned the hotel property after 1946.
|Collection||Plumbing Tools & Equipment Collection|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|