|Object ID #||2012.032.026|
|Title||Loyal Orange Lodge #176 Parade Collar|
|Lexicon category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||Orangeman's fabric neck sash. It is orange on the outside and electric blue on the underside. It is made of machine-stitched cotton, and is printed in black with "L.O.L. No. 176 / Berkeley" on the wearer's left side. It is meant to be pinned at the front, as the ends were originally held together by a metal straight pin.|
Belonged to the Berkeley Loyal Orange Lodge No. 176. According to page 222 of "A History of Holland Township", Volume 1, the "hall was built before 1885. The charter for LOL 176 Berkeley was first issued to James Allen on March 3, 1851 in the County of Waterloo. It was incorporated on January 31, 1894 (Registration No. 259) in North Grey.
The warrant (charter) was re-issued to James Gillespie on June 23, 1876. It was eventually declared dormant and the charter was returned in August, 1972."
The Berkeley Orange Lodge members used to march from their hall, down to the station and back each 12th of July.
|Found||Berkeley, Township of Chatsworth, Grey County|
Loyal Orange Lodges