|Object ID #||1957.008.001|
|Title||Earthenware Pitcher from Kilsyth, Ontario|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Made||The Derby Pottery (?)|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||This is a pottery-made large reddish-brown ceramic pitcher, with a broken off handle. It is a 19th-century item, with a reddish brown glaze on the exterior and interior. There is incised (scored) decor (2 thin lines) on the widest body area of the pitcher, as well as some scoring at the exterior lip area (3 thin lines). The pitcher was made of red clay earthenware. There is no maker's mark on the underside.|
|Makers mark||None on it|
The pitcher was found in the Kilsyth area of Grey County and historically there was a pottery there, so that might be its pottery of origin.
Previously belonged to Belle Cunningham, who resided in Kilsyth, Grey County, in 1957. Historically, Kilsyth was the locale of a pottery, so there is a possibility that the pitcher was made there? Kilsyth was then part of Derby Township, Grey County. There is information about the Derby pottery in David J. Newland's book about early Ontario potteries.
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-20.2 Dia-15.1 cm|
|Found||Kilsyth, Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
|Function||A water pitcher or milk pitcher. It definitely was intended for pouring liquids.|