|Object ID #||1959.002.001|
|Object Name||Table, Dining|
|Title||Cherrywood Table (c. 1869)|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Drop-leaf cherrywood table (used 1869+) that has four turned legs. Two leaves drop down when required. The finish is not original (but the table should be covered with a tablecloth anyway, as it is a Victorian table) . No maker's identification is present on it, but it was likely made in Holland Township, Grey County in the Arnott area.
This was the first table owned and used by John and Margaret Murray McKay, after their marriage in Chatsworth, Grey County, Canada West, on April 8, 1869. Their farm home was located at Arnott, Holland Township, Grey County.
The table was next used by their eldest daughter, Mary Ann (Minnie) Givens (neé McKay), at the Givens farm near Massie, Ontario. Minnie had married James Givens in 1898. The Givens farmed in Holland Township, and are buried in Owen Sound's Greenwood cemetery. Minnie (McKay) Givens was born in 1871 and died in 1950. James R. Givens was born in 1875 and died in 1958.
The table was refinished and used by Mrs. Givens' grandson, Jim Reid.
|Collection||Furniture, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Arnott, Township of Chatsworth, Grey County|
|Function||A dining table (it would be covered with a tablecloth)|